The Flumen Durius project is framed within the Cross-Border Cooperation Programme, Interreg V-A Spain-Portugal (POCTEP) 2014-2020, a cross-border cooperation programme approved by the European Commission (EC) in its Implementing Decision C(2015) 893 of 12 February 2015.
The consortium is made up of six partners: Zamora City Council, the project coordinator; the Iberian Association of Douro Riverside Municipalities (AIMRD); the Municipality of Miranda do Douro; the University of Trás-os-Montes and Alto Douro (UTAD); the Santa María la Real Historical Heritage Foundation; and the Innovative Business Group for Efficient Construction (AEICE) in the framework of the Duero Douro initiative.
The aim is to enhance and promote the natural and cultural heritage around the river to attract new visitors and tourists, increasing flows, which will translate into an upturn in economic activity.
It will be developed until 31 December 2018, with an investment of €1,773,732.16, 75% of which is co-financed by the European Regional Development Fund (ERDF).
OBJECTIVES OF THE PROJECT
INCREASING THE VALUE OF CULTURAL HERITAGE
To propose sustainable models to conserve the tangible and intangible heritage of the Douro.
To reinforce the joint image and the tourism resources related to the river, using ICT and social networks.
To promote sustainable, high-quality tourism based on the cultural and landscape heritage of riverside municipalities.
Enhancement of the natural and cultural heritage around the River Douro
1. Creating the Douro Route Tourism Quality Observatory.
2. Douro Heritage Study.
3. Preparation and interpretation of heritage elements associated with the River Douro.
Joint promotion of a high-quality tourism offer
- Specific promotion actions using audiovisual media.
2. Participation in tourism events.
3. Joint cultural programming through festivals, craft markets, seminars, exhibitions, etc.
Signposting of routes around the River Douro using ICT
1. Distinguishing the tourism offer according to the Douro quality mark.
2. Programming the web platform and georeferencing new routes around the River Douro.
3. Georeferenced route of the River Douro Route for canoeing.